TRANSPORTATION Secretary Arthur P. Tugade said the review of unsolicited proposals for all transport-related projects will continue during the COVID-19 quarantine.
The Department of Transportation (DoTr) said in a statement Friday that Mr. Tugade met with officials of various agencies Thursday to discuss the implementation of the newly-signed Republic Act 11469 or the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, which allows President Rodrigo R. Duterte to realign budget savings to fund the COVID-19 containment effort.
At the meeting, Mr. Tugade also “directed all concerned offices, especially Legal Affairs and Planning, to continue coordination and review of relevant documents to ensure unhampered processes even during the enhanced Community Quarantine, and to ensure that the template of Clark Airport and Bohol-Panglao Airport is observed,” the DoTr said, referring to the process adopted for evalutaing unsolicited proposals for airport projects.
“This quarantine does not mean all pending tasks must also stop. Rather, take this opportunity to finish all pending assignments and tasks,” Mr. Tugade was quoted as saying.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat and Mr. Tugade signed a memorandum of agreement in January on behalf of the Department of Tourism and the DoTr to “intensify infrastructure development that will support the development and promotion of tourism circuits across the country.”
Under the agreement, both departments will prioritize airport development programs in support of tourism development, monitor the progress of airport projects in such areas, and explore, develop and increase the value proposition of destinations “for sustainable tourism through the productive utilization of airport assets and route development.”
Mr. Duterte last week announced a month-long Luzon lockdown in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19, closing most private businesses and suspending public transport. — Arjay L. Balinbin