PRESIDENT Rodrigo R. Duterte has revoked an order he issued last year rejecting loans and grants from 41 countries that backed a probe of his deadly war on drugs, his spokesman said on Wednesday.
“Please be informed that such directive is hereby lifted, effective immediately,” according to a copy of a Feb. 27 memo issued by Executive Secretary Salvador S. Medialdea to state agencies but released only yesterday.
Presidential spokesman Salvador S. Panelo did not immediately reply to a mobile-phone message asking why the ban was lifted.
The United Nations Human Rights Council on July 11 ordered its human rights office to present a comprehensive report as it expressed concerns about human rights violations in the Philippines in connection with Mr. Duterte’s anti-illegal drug campaign.
The body adopted a resolution that Iceland proposed and 17 other nations voted for. Twenty-four other nations who co-sponsored the resolution did not vote.
The Iceland-sponsored resolution drew the ire of Mr. Duterte, who writhes at Western condemnation of his drive that is widely supported by Filipinos.
Philippine police have said they have killed more than 6,000 people in illegal drug raids, many of them resisting arrest. Some local nongovernmental organizations and the national Commission on Human Rights have placed the death toll at more than 27,000. — Gillian M. Cortez