AN INITIAL P20 to P25 million budget has been allocated by the Cebu provincial government for intervention projects to assist farmers, fisherfolk, and other communities affected by the prevailing El Niño phenomenon. The money will be sourced from the P59 million quick response fund, which is ready for release following the declaration of a state of calamity in the province on March 25. In a statement, the provincial government said among the initial projects identified is renting water tankers to deliver supply in priority affected areas such as the towns of Argao and Dalaguete. The local administration held a coordination meeting last Friday with provincial and national agencies to avoid a redundancy of interventions. Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Baltazar S. Tribunalo, Jr. said that as of March 27, there were already 29 local government units that submitted assessment and damage reports. Mr. Tribunalo said damage and losses estimate is so far least P100 million, including crops, tilapia and seaweeds. Affected farmers and fisherfolk will also be able to claim insurance under the program of the provincial government and the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation.